Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tuesday - Getting to Know the Culture


My mornings have rapidly settled into a routine. I awake about 5:30 and walk a few steps over the house where the girls are staying. Their place is the one where we do our socializing and eating. It’s my job to turn the coffee on. The girls don’t like to be the first downstairs as one never knows if there are critters around (spiders, snakes, scorpions, etc). I sit at the table in the screened porch and spend time praying, talking with God and blogging.

I enjoyed a morning ride into town with Jervis. I met several of the locals: Edmond, the director of TCA, Robert – a machinist of some kind and Tim, the man who started TCA. We went to the Internet CafĂ© so I could post the items for the blog. The shop was full of folks, from kids to adults, busy about their business with the internet.

The shop owners are “Coolies”. This is the name for the Belizeans of East Indian descent. Their appearance is Indian or even Asian. The folks of Mayan descent are known as Ketchi. Other groups here are the Creole and the Gauban, descendants of an Ethiopian ship that wrecked near Belize.

The remainder of the day found us painting, painting and then some more painting. We are very nearly finished with the priming portion of our task. Perhaps on Wed we will begin to paint in color.

Muggy and I walked over the Fisher’s house after work just to say hello. It is fascinating just observing the flora here.

After dinner I asked where I could find a tarantula. Hannah, one of the interns, showed me how to use a flashlight held against your nose to walk through the grass and see the spider’s eyes reflecting back. We found lots of spiders, but no tarantulas.

The team then returned to the work site to enjoy a time of praise and worship on the roof of the new building. The staff had set up chairs and built a bonfire (we all moved about 25 feet from the fire due to the heat and it was incredibly humid evening as it was). Jervis played his guitar and led us in a few worship songs. Muggy shared her testimony and then we had an intense time of prayer for the staff and the interns. We prayed for each person individually and anointed them with oil. It was powerful!

As we sat on the third story roof of the building, I could not help but think of the Mayan connection we are making. I have stood atop mounds in Cahokia, IL and the Ocmulgee Mounds in Macon, GA. As we flew from Belize City to Punta Gorda on Saturday, I noted that the hills on the landscape looked like the mounds in both these other locations. It is posited that the Mississippians were of Mayan origin and traveled up into North America. I felt a strong connection between where God has taken us (St. Louis, Macon and now Belize).

No comments:

Post a Comment